|Goddess:||Love and Beauty|
|First appearance:||Chaos 103|
|Portrayed by:||Tabitha St. Germain|
Aphrodite (Greek Ἀφροδίτη) is the Greek goddess of love, beauty, and sexuality. Her Roman equivalent is the goddess Venus. Historically, her cult in Greece was imported from, or influenced by, the cult of Astarte in Phoenicia.
Because of her beauty other gods feared that jealousy would interrupt the peace among them and lead to war, and so Zeus married her to Hephaestus, who was not viewed as a threat. Aphrodite had many lovers, both gods and men. Aphrodite also became instrumental in the myth of Eros and Psyche, and later was both Adonis' lover and his surrogate mother. Many lesser beings were said to be children of Aphrodite.
In the SeriesEdit
- Neil's mentor.
- She is an air-headed woman who loves good-looking people, especially herself. She and her attendants were supposed to bring Neil to Olympus High School. Aphrodite did not bother, as she had better things to do, which lead the heroes to go get Neil themselves. She seems to spend most of her time either make herself look even more beautiful or admiring herself in the mirror. Jay and Archie found her to be hypnotically attractive and had to be dragged out of the room by the very annoyed girls. Naturally, her beauty and obsession with it make her the ideal mentor for Neil. In the series, she is incorrectly said to be the Mother of Eris. In the actual mythology Hera is Eris' Mother!
Aphrodite (Greek: Ἀφροδίτη) is the Greek goddess of love, and beauty. According to Greek poet Hesiod, she was born when Cronus cut off Uranus' genitals and threw them into the sea, and from the aphros (sea foam) arose Aphrodite. Because of her beauty, other gods feared that jealousy would interrupt the peace among them and lead to war, and so Zeus married her to Hephaestus, who was not viewed as a threat. However, she did not love him, nor wanted him, as he was ugly and lame. She fell in love with his brother, Ares, and began to see him. Hephaestus, aware of this wife's treachery, devised a plan to catch the lovers together. One day, he "left" for his home island of Lemos, and Aphrodite took advantage of her husband's absence. She led Ares to her room, where they were later trapped under a invisible net of unbreakable material, a trap set by Hephaestus. He called the others gods to come and see, humiliating Aphrodite and Ares (who were later released by Poseidon).
Other legends state that she was the daughter of Zues and the goddess Dione.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Aphrodite is an extremely powerful goddess who surpassed many others, especially since - in her own words - "love can bring even the gods to their knees."
- Love Manipulation: As the Goddess of Love, she has absolute control and divine authority over the emotions of love and desire. She is able to arouse love and passion in others, and to entrance any mortal or god she desires with control over love, lust, beauty and other things related to them. The only known deities who have at least partial immunity to this are the three Virgin Goddesses: Hestia, Athena, and Artemis. As the goddess of love, Venus has the mystical ability to arouse love and passion in others and transform weapons into objects of peace. Aphrodite once stated that she had sufficient power to influence love around the entire world. She also stated that wars were started because of her and finally that the world's greatest heroes were born because she personally made their parents mate, though she fails to specify specifically which heroes
- Personification of Desire: As the Goddess of Love and Beauty, Aphrodite is the personification of all desire and fulfillment, and hence has full authority over provinces such as craving of the attainable, physical appetite, emotional need, envious desire, and even satisfaction (as it is an extension of the attainment of one's desire).
- Immortal youth and beauty
- Hypnotic/seductive beauty
- Abiltiy to make and break relationships
- Read/sense emotions of others
- The ability to change her appearence (possibly, as its not stated in the show)
- Love Manipulation