Bow and Arrows
|Hair color:||Light orange|
|Portrayed by:||Patricia Drake|
Artemis is the Goddess of the Hunt. She is Apollo's twin sister. She is one of the 3 Virgin Goddesses, along with Athena and Hestia.
In the classical period of Greek mythology, Artemis (Greek: Ἄρτεμις) was often described as the daughter of Zeus and Leto, and the twin sister of Apollo. She was the Goddess of the hunt, wild animals, wilderness, childbirth (some myths), virginity and young girls, bringing and relieving disease in women; she often was depicted as a huntress carrying a bow and arrows. The deer and the cypress were sacred to her. In later Hellenistic times, she even assumed the ancient role of Eileithyia in aiding childbirth.
In later years, Artemis was often confused Selene, the moon goddess, and in roman times became goddess of the moon.
In some versions of mythology, she was born on Delos along with her twin, and others state that she was born on the mainland and helped her mother to Delos, where she asisted in the birth of her twin brother, Apollo. In mythology, it's said that she took an oath of maidenhood when she was still a young girl.
Her roman name is Diana.
In the SeriesEdit
- Atlanta's mentor, as Atalanta, Atlanta's hero ancestor is a descendent of Artemis (Although it is slighty curious, as Artemis never had any children, so how could she have descendants?)
- She seems to have a slight New York accent and bears a slight resemblance to Atlanta.
- Not surprisingly, she and her student, Atlanta, are both great hunters and skilled in archery.
- She is a decisive and straight-forward woman who seems to have limited patience and enjoys competition.
- In some versions of Greek Mythology, she was romantically linked with fellow hunter Orion.
Artemis and OrionEdit
Long ago Artemis was challenged to hit an impossible target by her brother, which was Orion's head, swimming away.She shot an arrow at his head, and struck her target. When she realized it was Orion, she was heartbroken that she couldn't save him. She became furious at her twin, although she couldn't stay mad at him for long. Apollo then help her place Orion in the stars so she would never forget him. There are some stories which say that Atalanta is her and Orion's daughter.
As the Goddess of the Hunt.Edit
- Superior archery
- Superior hunting skills